Directions: Answer the questions with specific references to the reading from your textbook (pages 110-138). Must be in complete sentences and use critical vocabulary to justify your responses.
1) What is the difference between folk and pop culture? Provide an example of each.
2) How are the terms local and folk culture similar and different?
3) Provide examples of material pop AND folk culture.
4) Provide examples of nonmaterial pop AND folk culture?
5) Using hierarchical diffusion, trace the diffusion of a your favorite type of music.
6) How are local cultures sustained or preserved? Be sure to refer to the entire section to support this answer.
7) What threats are there to the preservation of local cultures? Be sure to use specific vocabulary to support your reasoning.
8) Briefly discuss basic beliefs and traditions of the Anabaptists. You may focus an a specific group.
9) How is Little Sweden an example of neolocalism?
10) Where are hearths of popular culture?
11) How does pop culture diffuse?
12) What is distance decay and how does it impact diffusion?
13) How does time-space compression hinder or speed up diffusion?
14) How does certain forms of pop culture "make it"?
15) How can pop culture be altered?
16) How does pop culture threaten local culture?
17) How does local and pop culture seen in the cultural landscape?
18) Think of a couple of ways that the cultural landscape is affected in Spencer County.