Winter Break To-Do List
1) Cultural Landscape Project
2) Watch the News!!!!
3) Chapter 8 Vocabulary Cards
-Be sure to include an example or illustration for each card
4) Chapter 8 Reading Questions
5) Review Unit 4 Calendar for January
1) What is political geography?
2) What is the criteria to be recognized as a state?
3) How are nation, state and country similar and different?
4) Define a nation state and provide an example.
5) Define and provide an example of the following term: multistage nations, multinational states and stateless nations.
6) How did colonization help spread the model of a nation-state?
7) What is the difference between capitalism, socialism and communism?
8) Discuss the three tiers of the world-systems model. Be sure to reference the specific geographer associated with this model.
9) What is centripetal and centrifugal force? Provide an example and discuss how it can unite and divide a nation.
10) Compare federal and unitary forms of government.
11) Discuss an example of devolution.
12) Discuss the relationship between redistricting (aka reapportionment) and the U.S. Census.
13) What is gerrymandering and what is its purpose?
14) What are the political consequences that result from redistricting?
15) What are the different types of boundaries? How can boundaries led to disputes?
16) Descrive the geopolitical World Order.
17) What are supranational organizations?
18) How do supranational organizations affect the future of the state?
19) What are the United Nations millennium goals? Research outside the text.
20) Discuss the development of the European Union and its function.